ADAS & data logging
Engineered for the auto industry of the future
Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) are central to the future of driving, improving car and road safety while making driving more enjoyable than ever before.
The basic structure of ADAS has three main parts:
- Data generation: sensors, cameras and other data sources generate data about the car and its surroundings.
- Data processing: a computing platform processes data using powerful hardware and intelligent software.
- Data logging: the system stores raw and processed data onto a storage platform for analysis and further processing.
In terms of data logging, ADAS demands not only incredible storage capacities to store all the data generated by the system but also unrelenting storage performance that can keep up with a constant flood of data.
That’s not easy, and that’s where Exascend comes in.
The ADAS data challenge
Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) generate extreme amounts of data through their numerous sensors, LiDAR, cameras and more.
More accurate systems = more data = higher data rates and larger storage capacities required:
- In 2017, Intel and Micron found that ADAS requires around 1 GB of data to be processed per second.
- In Intel’s latest Mobileye system, EyeQ5 from 2020, up to 7.25 GB/s of data must be processed each second.
- In next-generation systems, even higher bitrates are required.
The ADAS power and thermal challenge
Powerful ADAS hardware means high power-draw
- GPU: up to 350 W per installation.
- Server CPU: up to 285 W per installation.
- Enterprise SSD: 15–20 W active power consumption.
- Throttles performance at 149 °F (65 °C), causing unpredictable performance and sudden drops in transfer speeds.
Compact ADAS systems and high power-draw means high temperatures
- Thermal management is becoming a critical part of high-power systems.
- Low power and intelligent thermal management are cornerstones in achieving sustainable high performance.
The ADAS environmental challenge
Advanced driver-assistance systems face some of the toughest environmental challenges imaginable, both from their operating environment and the outside ambient environment. For example, they’re up against…:
- Extreme temperatures and sudden swings in temperature.
- Vibrations, shocks and pressure – both continuous and sudden.
- Particles, contaminants, pollution and humidity.
We are deeply passionate about creating innovative and pioneering products at the intersection of our core areas of expertise: enterprise-class and industrial-grade flash storage.
By combining the unbeatable performance and stability in our enterprise-class products with our rugged expertise from our industrial-grade products, we craft truly unique products that combine the best of both worlds.
That’s the perfect recipe for ADAS and data logging applications: enterprise performance everywhere.
Why limit yourself to form factors optimized for consumer products or data centers with controlled environments?
We love the standard M.2 and 2.5″ form factors, but that doesn’t mean that they’re the perfect form factors for every application. That’s why we offer next-generation form factors like E1.S and U.2 that have performance and thermal profiles ideal for demanding applications like ADAS and data logging.
But why stop there – we also provide fully customized form factors tailored for your application and its unique requirements.
One size does not fit all.
Exascend’s proprietary Adaptive Thermal Control™ technology paired with our advanced low-power SSD controllers, enable our products to…:
- Improve system thermals, airflow, and acoustic design complexity, therefore helping reduce the entire system BOM cost.
- Deliver the industry’s lowest power consumption, the highest sustained performance in extreme temperature environments.
- Ten-fold improvement of quality of service (QoS), 2–3X the minimum performance.
- Improve long-term drive reliability and drive lifespan.
SuperCruise™ focuses on delivering performance in the most consistent manner, ensuring performance does not fluctuate or drop over time. It is an Exascend cornerstone technology that power our data logger and cinematography product lines. It enables:
- Consistent high-level performance.
- Exceptional quality of service (QoS).
Our services and expertise
Certified for ADAS
We’re a proven ADAS storage partner whose products have undergone testing and certification with major advanced driver-assistance system (ADAS) manufacturers.
Customized like no other
We pride ourselves with offering the industry’s most extensive customization services. Whether you need some mild tuning or something completely new, we’re ready to deliver.
There is a lot of trial and error involved in bringing innovative technologies to life. Doing everything in-house makes that a painless and fast process that we have perfected down to a T.
The technology leader
We are pushing the auto sector forward with innovative products and technologies made for ADAS. Drive yourself and the industry forward with us!
Storage technologies for ADAS
Our recommended ADAS storage
The PI4 series brings together Exascend’s industrial expertise with the high-speed PCIe 4.0 interface and high-density 3D TLC.
The result is a highly competent lineup of industrial-grade storage with enterprise-class performance available in the M.2, U.2 and E1.S form factors.
The PE4 series is Exascend’s enterprise-grade lineup of high-performing PCIe 4.0 devices. With extreme sustained read and write speeds along with Exascend’s technologies, the PE4 series brings the PCIe 4.0 interface to the next level.
The PI3 series brings together Exascend’s industrial expertise with the high-speed PCIe 3.0 interface and high-density 3D TLC – resulting in a highly competent lineup of industrial-grade storage.
Exascend’s Industrial CFexpress combines the flexibility of compact card storage with high-performance industrial-grade NAND flash – making it an ideal choice for applications that demand ruggedness and portability, including industrial automation, ADAS, data loggers and rugged edge equipment.